Remember when I talked about replacing our boob light in the dining area?
So I was going to try and find some type of skanky '80s chandelier on Craigslist and spray paint the hell out of it. Maybe a copper color. But then we got this brown Ikea lamp shade for free, and I smelled a DIY.
I decided to paint the lampshade. I was debating between some type of ikat or vaguely American Indian print, or chevrons. I figured the chevrons would be easier, so I decided to go with that.
I started by using painter's tape to mark off a chevron pattern. The second from top row (not the little triangles at the very top, but the next row) was where I started, and it was the hardest to get exactly even. I just used trial and error until I got the tape strips to line up just right and to be at an angle that looked good. At one point I got it to line up, but the angle was so sharp it looked like Charlie Brown's sweater, so I started over.
Anyway, once I had that row finished, it wasn't too hard to knock out the rest. I did it in two nights, only spending about an hour each night.
Then I literally just used a white wall paint to fill in the gaps. I started off with a sponge brush, which was a fail. A small bristled brush worked better.
As you can see, the seam was really the only place that gave me major difficulties. I ended up painting a line down the whole seam. It doesn't look great, but that side is turned to the wall now, so it's hardly visible.
The rest of it looks quite good, in my humble opinion.
Here it is in action. Luckily we didn't have to do any pesky rewiring. I just had to pick up a few odds and ends at Home Depot to make the lampshade stay in place. Please don't ask me what they were called. I just go into Home Depot and choose things that look right. I don't know their names.
You may also notice some new art in our dining area. This peacock came from our trip to Nebraska last month. The Dude's grandfather passed away, and we were fortunate enough to get some of his belongings to remember him by. This peacock, which goes perfectly in our house, was one of them.
The white jars are from Ikea. They are not meant to be there permanently. I have another project coming up with them that involves a Xyron (which I just purchased for $7.22 including shipping on the Weddingbee Classifieds!).
I have two more DIY projects to share with you guys, so hopefully someone will hold me accountable for writing the posts.